Friday, October 5, 2012

Favorites in the Classroom

Last week's parent conferences were great.  I very much enjoyed meeting with this class of parents, and I am excited about working together toward every student's success.

During that week I was given a chance to do some review and change up the pace a bit.  I read a few more of my favorite books.  One of the students pointed out that I have more than one favorite.  That is true.  I get excited about many of the stories I am able to share in class and only wish I had more time to do so.  Here are a couple of books that the students enjoyed as much as I did:

Harry and The Lady Next Door by Gene Zion:

 http://www.betterworldbooks.com/9780064440080-id-9780064440080.aspx


and

Olivia and the Missing Toy by Ian Falconer:

http://www.betterworldbooks.com/9780689852916-id-9780689852916.aspx

Both of these stories kept the students listening to hear what was going to happen next.  There was just the right balance between keeping the reader questioning, guessing, and laughing.  They are perfection between two pieces of pressed cardboard.  The illustrations and excellent writing are an unbeatable combination.  Just ask your child.

Parents, in your booklet from Back to School Night is a list of questioning strategies that would work very nicely with these stories.  I hope you get a chance to read them.

No comments:

Post a Comment