Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Perks and Back to School Night

PERKS:

1.  A student who has producing some lovely work created a writing I was very pleased with this morning. Wanting to show her my appreciation, I stamped her paper with a small Lion King stamp.  She immediately dug into her small pink purse and asked me if I had any children who were boys.  I told her I had four daughters.  She began counting out four stickers, one for each daughter she said, and another one for me.  My tiny act of kindness was returned fourfold.   



2.  I was given an anonymous note and found it on my desk before taking roll:



  

   The note made my day.  When leaving I showed it to the after school program staff in the office.  They all  
   laughed and smiled with me.  I can honestly say the day ended on a good note.  ; )


BACK TO SCHOOL NIGHT:

Tomorrow evening will be Back-to-School Night on campus.  I have drawn the students into the event with the activity depicted elsewhere in this blog based upon the story, The Little Red Hen.  They are looking forward to retelling it to their parents/guardians.  

Here is the basic agenda:



I like the green handbook that is included in the homework folder.  However, next year I will need to add a table of contents along with a more thorough explanation of its purpose.   The resources in the green folder include an alphabet page with upper and lowercase letters in random order to practice letter and sound identification, an entry keypad to practice student ID numbers, a hundreds chart to practice counting to 120 and number identification, a list of sound patterns and short corresponding word lists, a list of all sight words to be covered during the year, a tens and ones mat, and a ten frame mat.   I will be sure to give a full explanation over the uses of these materials during Back-to-School Night.   I will also give parents a simple sheet of suggestions for helping their students and a list of reading strategies to use when reading with them.  







I am very excited to meet everyone and look forward to tomorrow evening. Pictures of the classroom coming soon.




No comments:

Post a Comment